Senior Lecturer in Applied Data Science
Department of Computer Science
City, University of London
tel: +44 20 7040 8415
fax: +44 20 7040 8845
I am a Senior Lecturer in Applied Data Science at the giCentre. My research focuses on the tight integration of interactive visualizations, data analysis techniques and supporting exploratory knowledge and capabilities of experts. I have a background in computer science, visualization and computer graphics. I obtained a PhD in visualization (University of Bergen), MSc. (Sabanci Uni., Istanbul), and BSc. (METU, Ankara) in Computer Science. During my PhD, I had the privilage to work with Helwig Hauser from University of Bergen. During 2013, I served as a visiting research fellow at Harvard University. Since December 2013, I am based at City University London. You can download my CV here.
- BioVis Challenges Workshop at IEEE VIS 2018 in Berlin
- I am co-organising BioVis Challenges Workshop at IEEE VIS 2018 in Berlin in October 2018 together with Nils Gehlenborg from Harvard University.
- New EPSRC Grant, December 2017
- My project titled NlViS: Natural Language Interaction for Visual Data Analysis has been funded by EPSRC as part of the EPSRC's First Grant Scheme. The project aims to develop a fundamental understanding of how analysts can use natural language elements to perform visualisation empowered data analysis. Redsift Inc. is a project partner and aiming to productise some of the project outcomes. Further details here.
- Guest Editor for IEEE CG&A Special Issue
- I am guest editing a Special Issue for IEEE CG&A on Smart City Applications together with Bob Laramee from Swansea University and Alark Joshi from University of San Francisco. Deadline January 1st 2018.
- New H2020 Grant, August 2016
- We have secured a EC H2020 grant (~€3.5m) for a project titled DiSIEM:Diversity Enhancement for Security Information and Event Management Systems. I am one of the investigators of the project and will research on how visualisation can help cyber security experts in their decision making processes.
- New project with Redsift, January 2016
- I am starting a new exciting project with the London-based technology company Redsift. The project is titled "Unravelling email data through interactive visual data analysis " and will investigate ways the role of interactive visual analysis within e-Discovery practices.