Senior Lecturer in Applied Data Science
Department of Computer Science
City, University of London
tel: +44 20 7040 8415
fax: +44 20 7040 8845
I am currently a Senior Lecturer in Applied Data Science at the giCentre within the Computer Science Department at City, University of London. I have a PhD degree in Visualisation from University of Bergen, Norway in 2014, served as a visiting research fellow at Harvard University in 2013, and since 2014 I carry out my research and teach at City, University of London. My research falls under the broad area that can be referred to as Visual Data Science and focuses on designing visualisations, interactions and computational methods to enable an effective combination of human and machine capabilities to facilitate data-intensive problem solving. I try to understand how people make decisions together with algorithms, investigate the role of interactive visual computing in this process, and also design & build techniques and systems that build on this foundational understanding. I frequently publish my research on visualisation journals such as IEEE TVCG, CGF, and IEEE CG&A, as well as journals in machine learning and data mining. A copy of my (probably dated) CV is here
- Open Practices Co-Chair at IEEE VIS 2019
- I will be acting as the Open Practices Co-chair at IEEE VIS 2019 for IEEE VAST. We will be promoting and facilitating better openness practices at VIS.
- EuroVA 2019 in Porto, Portugal
- I am co-chairing EuroVA 2019 Workshop co-located with EuroVis 2019 in Porto in June 2019 together with Tatiana von Landesberger, Technische Universität Darmstadt.
- BioVis Challenges Workshop at IEEE VIS 2018 in Berlin
- I am co-organising BioVis Challenges Workshop at IEEE VIS 2018 in Berlin in October 2018 together with Nils Gehlenborg from Harvard University.
- New EPSRC Grant, December 2017
- My project titled NlViS: Natural Language Interaction for Visual Data Analysis has been funded by EPSRC as part of the EPSRC's First Grant Scheme. The project aims to develop a fundamental understanding of how analysts can use natural language elements to perform visualisation empowered data analysis. Redsift Inc. is a project partner and aiming to productise some of the project outcomes. Further details here.